Based in Durham, NC and Los Angeles, CA
August 04, 2015
Dandy is a 2D Horizontal shoot em' up about candy addiction and death. You play as Dandy, a candy alchemist on a delirious search for candy ingredients. Deceptively whimsical, Dandy is an experience that requires the player to think about their actions. The game uses permanent death and procedural elements to reward patience and learning, which makes for a very distinct schmup experience.
Dandy is our response to a Flash game we made by the same name in 2008, as well as a response to careless game design in general. Our main design goal is to give importance to all the player's actions. The enemies react directly to the player's input; for example, there's an enemy that will not shoot unless the player shoots. Each of the individual systems (enemies) pair in ways that encourage the player to be thoughtful and strategic about their actions. Another distinction between Dandy and other shoot em' ups is that the game will not progress until all the enemies on screen are defeated, which gives importance to understanding the enemies intimately. Each enemy is it's own puzzle, and those puzzles combine to surprise and challenge the player.
- Local co-op - Bring up to 3 friends along with randomly created companions. Just hook up your controllers and press start.
- Online Racing - Join up to 3 other players in a race to the boss, with kart racing style sabotages (works cross platform).
- Thousands of power-up combinations, with powerful synergies to discover. Each power-up combination gives Dandy a completely new look.
- Procedurally generated maps make each playthrough different and challenging.
- Reactive enemies that force you to strategize. Coming in with guns (er, wands) blazing will often be the worst choice.
- 10 awesome music tracks composed in-house.
- Mouse, Keyboard, or Controller controls.
Gameplay Video YouTube
Logo & Icon
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Wefiends is an independent game studio run by brothers Kevin and Nick Barrios and composer Steph Fung. We work almost entirely over the internet, with Nick and Steph in North Carolina and Kevin in Los Angeles. We apply ourselves to very distinct roles. Nick does all the programming, and Kevin does all the art and big picture game design. Steph tends to stew privately on bits of inspiration for weeks at a time. She needs little direction to create beautiful tracks of music that compliment our games perfectly.
More information on wefiends, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Programmer, Game Designer
Game Designer, Artist
Composer, Sound Design